Because educators have used the word "assessment" in a variety of ways, it is important to understand its specific definition in education today. Educational Service Unit 10 has identified five fundamental questions to use in discussing and defining assessment:
- How are your stated student learning outcomes appropriate to your mission, programs, and degrees?
- What evidence do you have that students achieve your stated learning outcomes?
- In what ways do you analyze and use evidence of student learning?
- How do you ensure shared responsibility for assessment of student learning?
- How do you evaluate and improve the effectiveness of your efforts to assess and improve student learning?
Our staff is available to assist schools and staff with all of the above. Some of the research and resources we utilize can be found from the following researchers and authors; Marzano, O'Connor, Stiggins, McNulty, Spandel, et al.