November 23, 2015
The Nebraska Department of Education Data Reporting System (DRS) is the result of efforts to improve the quality and transparency of education data both at the student level and overall trends in schools throughout the state. The vision and purpose of the DRS is to provide secure, flexible & user friendly access to information to answer questions and query data across multiple years. The DRS provides two separate web sites targeted at difference audiences.
• Public site: Includes masked data analysis at the state level.
• Secured site: Provides unmasked data access to education consortiums as well as school district and building level analysis. Site requires secured login and activation through the NDE Portal http://portal.education.ne.gov.
The following types of information can be found in the DRS:
1. Student achievement results statewide are on the public site
2. Student achievement results by individual school building, school district and statewide are on the secured site
3. Student characteristics
4. Early childhood education data
5. Career education data
6. Data about special populations
7. Data about education staff
As part of our September 15, 2015 ESUPDO meeting, we were given time to log in to the DRS system through the secured site to access school district data. During the data practice activities, we selected districts within the ESU 10 service area to do some comparison analysis with a variety of data sets to look for trend data in regards to enrollment, mobility rates, attendance rates, ELL, proficiencies in NeSA Reading /Math, etc.
This access to the secured DRS will allow our staff to provide support for districts in the area of data analysis. We will now have the capability to also view data that previously was masked due to low student numbers and identification of special populations. By having access to multiple data sources, we can assist with helping districts to grow data literate staff that uses data for continuous improvement. This will allow them to spend their time analyzing, making meaning of the results, and collaborating with one another to improve all aspects of the learning organization.
-by Dallas Lewandowski, Teaching and Learning Coordinator